ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:07:48 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> From: <costinm@covalent.net>
>>Most people only 'describe' how to build and test it, and do that
>>in a procedural way. That's where the need for <if>, <while>, etc comes

>>from, and that's why ant files become ugly and hard to understand.
>>

> I agree with you that <while> is inheritely procedural (since it is based
> on observing changes in the state of the while condition), but <if> and
> <for-each> are not inheritely procedural. I do not think you can consider
> XSLT procedural and you have <choose> and <for-each> as well as
> inmutable variables (just as in ANT).

I think this is a good and fair point :-)

In fact if is basically <condition>, just a different way of applying
the same concept.
For-each applies to predefined elements as Alberto says, there is no
condition on the loop, no varying properties.

IMHO the fact that they work well with immmutable properties is a strong
point for them.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -