ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:03:54 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> costinm@covalent.net wrote on 07/09/2002 12:48:14 PM:
>

>>On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>Not sure I understand what you want. Changing the <project> element name
>

>>in build.xml to use a different name you feel is more apropriate ?
>>Are you kidding ?
>
> No, I'm saying we need to look at what things are used for and name them
> appropriately. <project> has very little to do with project details, and
> more to do with <build> details.

Project means that it's the build project.
It's not a project descriptor.
The build-project, not the project-descriptor.

>>A number of people ( usually those who -1 the adding of scripting
>>elements) believe ant should be more 'descriptive', and not
>>procedural. That's why it's called <project> - it is intended to
>>describe the project, including how to build various components.
>
> But what it does *NOW* has nothing to do with a project. Are you saying
> there should be one file to describe project information like the cvs
> repository, sub projects etc and that same file should contain all the
> build processes?

It's all about getting understood.
I would just call it <ant> and get along.
Besides, it's really easy to make <ant> and <project> both work, so we
have new syntax and backward compatibility with really no effort.
How's that?

>>Most people only 'describe' how to build and test it, and do that
>>in a procedural way. That's where the need for <if>, <while>, etc comes

>>from, and that's why ant files become ugly and hard to understand.
>>
>>However many ant asks are pretty high level, and nothing prevent
>>adding more 'descriptive' and higher level information ( using data
>>types). Whatever is in the gump descriptor could very well be
>>in an ant file.
>>
>>Of course, the biggest focus is on describing how to build various
>>targets - that's what people need the most. I agree we should add
>>more 'descriptive'/higher level  data types under <project>, maybe
>>what gump uses.
>
> Now you've gotta be kidding. Keep all the project info and all the build
> processes in one file?

Well, I strongly think that this ain't an Ant issue, but rather a Gump one.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -