ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: top-level tasks, import, projecthelp, targetless
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:02:44 GMT
 --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote: > On
Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez
> <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I suppose this change was because of -projecthelp
>
> Not only.  <property> and friends also get executed
> if you ask Ant to
> run a non-existant target in 1.5 - this doesn't
> happen any longer
> either.
>
> > Here is my specific proposal:
> >
> > 1) All to Task a new method:
> >   public boolean executeOnHelp() { return false;}
>
> If we go that route, I prefer Costin's marker
> interface (which you've
> kind of proposed yourself at one point IIRC) for
> tasks that have to be
> run immediately when they are at the top level.

Well, Stefan, after the dog fight I had to withstand
the last time I think you can understand me not
bringing it back ;-)

In any case, the order of execution is important. So
in you cannot execute some things inmediatelly and
others as part of the "" target. When all are to be
executed it must happen on one single swoop. I do not
see how one can reconciliate that with the
non-existant-target case.

In any case my interface marker was to define the
things that could be put at top level which would
always be executed in order while parsing, no ""
target. Which I would not consider target-less
anymore.

Jose Alberto