ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: top-level tasks, import, projecthelp, targetless
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:07:27 GMT
 --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote: > On
Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dominique Devienne
> <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
>
> > Just because of the way Ant 1.x mingles parsing
> and executing....
>
> CVS HEAD doesn't do that any longer.  ProjectHelper
> doesn't execute
> anything anymore.
>
> But as Costin said, this is part of the problem as
> you don't get
> property expansion for things that want to do
> something at parser time
> any longer.

Ok, I thought I was following the list close enough.
But I guess I did not :-(
I think this kind of change needed more discussion.

I suppose this change was because of -projecthelp
for that I would propose to be able to specify on the
tasks themselves wheather they should be executed on
projecthelp or not.

Here is my specific proposal:

1) All to Task a new method:
  public boolean executeOnHelp() { return false;}

2) Modify the few tasks we want to execute always, for
example:

 class Property extends Task {
   public boolean executeOnHelp() {return true;}
 }

and so forth. The project helper will just do the
obvious check. We can leave the fight about which
tasks to allow or disallow for another day.

Notice that this is completely backward compatible (I
think).

Jose Alberto