ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:04:30 GMT
 --- Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@apache.org> wrote: >
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>
>
> +1 for myrmidon as the foundation - its developer
> base gives me confidence that we will get where we
> want to.
>
> Bear in mind that the +1 is not based on the
> technical differences between Mutant and Myrmidon -
> I am sure both these proposals don't lack in
> design...

I feel quite unconfortable on just picking one of this
codebases. The truth of the matter is that I think
that except for the people involved, very few have
followed the development of that codebase and hence we
are not aware of the consequences of the decisions
being made. There has been very little discussion in
the wider audience on why things are the way they are
in there.

Given ANTs history, we will get stuck (due to backward
compatibility) with such code base even without
knowing what we are commiting to. Before we go picking
something I would like to see a written report of the
design feature, and consequences of those features
that we can all read and have an idea where are we
getting into. That applies to both revolution
proposals.

Jose Alberto