ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] target-less build files (plus a new proposal)
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:42:58 GMT
--- Ara Abrahamian <ara_e_w@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's like a book without chapters :-)

Actually, it's more like: Now you can write a short story, if that's all
the story you have to tell; or a novella, if you have a bit more; or a
novel, if you've got even more; or even a "A la recherche du temps perdu",
if you've got lots and lots of stories to tell :)

> With targets you have a simple mechanism to define small functions in
> your build, call them, depend on them.

If you have a need to, sure. But why should we require that?

> Like you "extract variable" in refactoring of your java code, you
> also "extract target" in your build file, you give it a good name
> and the build file is more readable then.

I don't happen to see it that way. I find a sequential list of tasks to
perform just as (and in some cases, more) readable.

> I really don't find a target-less build file useful.

Then you likely wouldn't write one.

> [proposal for reusable build files]
> So what do you think?

I think you should probably start it in a separate thread so it doesn't
get buried in this one.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)