ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:33:23 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:06, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> after I've made these things possible, Peter has indicated that he
> doesn't like them.  Honestly, target-less build files have been the
> driving force for me to tackle the "tasks outside of targets" part and
> I would have liked an early indicator as I've said what I'd be doing
> quite clearly several times, but hey ...
>
> Here we go.
>
> I like target-less build files as an easy entry for newbies as well as
> a stripped down process for very simple things (Ant's own docs.xml
> could perfectly be stated without targets at all).
>
> +1 to target-less build files.

-1

For much the same reasons it was vetoed last time. Removes clarity and
structure from build file. The evolution from target-less to targetful build
process can also be ugly.

Where a build file is simple you can easily do something like the following to
achieve the exact same effect with no change to ants underlying model

<project default="main">
  <target name="main">
  </target>
</project>

If you had not of reverted my change you would not even have to specify the
"default" attribute.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald