ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <import> enhancement, it's done, but do you like how it works?
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:14:29 GMT
 --- dion@multitask.com.au wrote: > Jose Alberto
Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote on 07/11/2002
> 11:45:23 PM:
>
> [snip]
> >   <target name="mytarget"
> >      depends="${ant::super(mytarget)}">
> >     <dostuff1/>
> >   </target>
> >
> > now, I doubt anybody has a property called like
> that.
> Yep, and I'll be stunned if anybody gets it right
> first time :)

Do people get <apply-imports/> right the first time?
:)

> > comments,
> I'd much rather stick with import and include as XSL
> defines them.
> Clearer, consistent with other technologies, and no
> messy super.stuff to
> be done.

What does this means. What does it means to
<apply-imports/> on a build file? XSLT can apply
things because there is an implicit node-set in there
to apply. But in a buildfile there is no implicit
anything. Unless we define one.

Super is better understood in the OO world than XSLT.

Where I do agree with you is on separating <include>
and <import> the behaviours are quite different and
mixing the two can cause unintended consequiences.
I may not notice when doing an "include" that there
may be already a target of that name. By having
separate constructs, one is more able to know what is
going on.

Jose Alberto