ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <import> enhancement, it's done, but do you like how it works?
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:45:16 GMT
 --- Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > This actually I do not like. I do not mind that it
> is
> > an unintended consequence, but I do not think it
> > should be promoted.
>
> Currently it's not doing it.
> It does have a loop to write super. n times, but n
> is now fixed to 1.
>
> I don't see it as particularly needed, but not as a
> liability either.

The problem I have with this is that violates the
usual OO-rules of inheritance. It would allow a
sub-project to access not only its parent definition
but to access other ancestors which I think will
eveolve into spaggetti code very quickly. There is a
reason for only having one level of super in OO
programming.

> > Which means it cannot be used as an add-on to
> ANT1.5
> > and most probably would only work as part of ANT2.
> >
> > I still think there is room for doing it
> syntacticly
> > (i.e., in ProjectHelper). It may not be as perfect
> as
> > it could, but I think it can be done.
>
> The below things can all be done within
> projecthelper, and maybe we
> would need to add a new Task, but it still can be
> used in 1.5.

So are you planning to treat <antcall> in a special
way? That would be the only way to modify the
"super='1'" that is there? What happens if I <taskdef>
my own version of <antcall/>?

> > See ideas below.
> >

> >>(a)
> >>
> >>  <target name="mytarget" >
> >>    <dostuff1/>
> >>    <antcall target="mytarget" super="1"/>
> >>    <dostuff2/>
> >>  </target>
> >>

> > With respect to the syntax of "super" what I would
> > probably do instead of denoting it just as the
> string
> > "super.XXXX" I would use some different notation,

Yahoo truncated my message, I will continue on a
separate one. :-(

Jose Alberto