ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:10:02 GMT
--- Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
> There is a lot of committers from whom nothing has been heard on
> these threads.

Sorry -- I've been very busy lately (have a massive, complex [and broken]
build system I need to rework). Also, (same old song) since my Java is
still in its infancy (well, maybe it's a toddler by now :), I'm just not
sure I can really add a lot of meaningful comments about whether Plan A is
superior to Plan B, internals-wise. I have some ideas on what kind of
capabilities I'd like to see Ant provide -- but since I'm not currently
working with it (the build rework is for a Jam-based process), it's not
something I'm actively thinking about (ie., I'm not trying to actually do
anything with Ant at the moment, other than when I try to provide
solutions for other people's how-can-I's) -- so, again, I'm not sure I
could really offer anything all that meaningful right now.

I have mentioned in the past that I'm not opposed to Ant2 being completely
new -- even if that means having to change build files to work with it. So
for me, that's a non-issue. My other main want is to see some kind of
"task templating", so if I ever do find myself needing 103 <javac> tasks
(like my first Ant build process needed), I don't need to have all of them
list out all the same attributes, but can instead just include those
things specific to that particular invocation of the task.

I definitely would encourage both you and Peter, et. al., to continue
working on your proposed replacements. I'm hoping to find some time before
too much longer to have a chance to review where they both are at this
point, and maybe then I'll have something more concrete to add.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)