ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:29:49 GMT

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 06:54 , Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> We are all looking at them for inspiration to make Ant1 better and
> waiting for them to ask a vote for the codebase switch.

I'm happy to ask for a vote. I tried once already :-) The problem is
that nobody knows what the vote really means.
>> So far, it's mainly been "Who needs the proposals? Ant 1 can do
>> anything!".
> Who needs the proposal implementations?
> We can put that stuff in the Ant1 codebase.

Really? I am interested to see that.  :-)

Ant1 is bit of a mess, really. I tried to give some pointer to this in
my Mutant doco.

For example, You have suggested <import> for an include function (BTW
why not use <include> or <include-project>?).

In 1.6 Stefan will enable top level tasks.

But, if someone has their own <import> task, they can't use it at the
top level since you will effectively introduce a new keyword to Ant.
Mutant tries to solve this problem by using a namespace for this sort of
metadata. I believe Myrmidon uses a task for <include> although there
are issues with that approach which I'm not sure how they have addressed.

Anyway, my point is that it is probably easy to grab features from the
proposals but without the underlying architecture, the result may not
always be that good.

>> Again, my issue is that there doesn't *seem* to be a drive toward the
>> user requirements
>> ( ), other
>> than luck...
> Not really.
> The proposals try to make the requirements real.
> Ant1 codebase tries to assimilate as much as possible without
> snaturating.

Let me give an analogy. You live in the leaning tower of Pisa and you
see your neighbours are adding rooftop pools to their building. They
look pretty cool but putting one on your roof may leave you a little
wet :-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message