ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:28:02 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:36, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> See the Ant 2 requirements list....
> But on my personal list:
> - Better expression usage. See Jexl. Access to java objects rather than
> just flat string properties.

Possible in myrmidon but will never be possible in ant1.x due to backwards
compatability.

> - More flexible include/import/antlib

Possibly available in ant1.6 if someone steps up to do the work.

> - Default processing for various tasks, e.g. run an ant task without a
> build file, if all it wants is a simple property that can be made
> available from the command line.

Actually someone is using myrmidon to do that - or more precisely they are
using myrmidon as a command line shell infrastructure. Mainly to try and get
an "xml shell" working.

> 'Build'. Myrmidon tries to integrate more 'project information' into the
> descriptor (similar to Gumps, right Peter?),

partially. The default project model in Myrmidon allows build files to cross
reference each other and build within a single dependency graph but other
than that it is mostly like ant1.x. However you can write tasks that will
enable myrmidon to directly process gump or maven descriptors.

Adam has experimented with some of this stuff and a few other people who are
not subscribed to this list are experimenting with it in other domains. One
crazy guy is even using it as a command language for his home video (Yikes!)

> rather than being Build
> focussed....There are a ton of API issues I have with Ant, e.g. property
> contexts being a single flat list, and not 'shareable' between called
> builds.....

yep. Backwards compatability is the main reason.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- Maugham