ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:24:49 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:21, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > packaged, installed, managed more easily without necessarily providing a
> >
> > huge range of new end-user features in the build files itself. My
> > feeling was that those features would emerge once the core was cleaner.
>
> I agree, they would emerge, if the core were being used on a wider scale.

Yep. As soon as I got other people using Myrmidon for other things I saw a lot
of wierd and wonderful things emerge. Myrmidon still has some faults (its
volatility being the worst at this stage) but I was surprised at what people
were using it for.

> Definitely not, but looking at things like Tomcat's build file scares me
> big time. The other thing is the sheer amount of duplication across build
> files without standardisation, e.g. jdk1.2/3/4 compilation exclusion, on
> vs offline etc.

yepo.

> > With respect to "oddities of history", it is probably also worth asking
> > what is the acceptable level of backward compatability breakage in
> > moving from Ant1 to Ant2. For some people, no break is acceptable even
> > across a major version number increment.
>
> Embrace the change :) Ok, I'll bite... What is the acceptable level of
> backward compatibility? Build file? API?

Build file "spec" is unreakable (or at least ant2 should run ant1 build files)
and the ability to run all of gump runs using ant2 is essential.

Because of the number of custom tasks, it is is also very desirable to keep
task API compatability layer.

However our "deployment" API (ie how we package tasks and datatypes etc)
should be 100% open to change as Ant1s sucks and chaging it wont cause too
much pain to change it.

> So, where to from here? Do the other committers feel like Ant 2's time is
> nigh?

It was nigh about a year and a half ago ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald