ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:18:18 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 7:55 AM
Subject: RE: Ant 2 et al.

>Don't take this as knocking Ant in general - it does its job amazingly
well, and the "mess" is, I suspect, a >necessary byproduct of backwards
compatibility and the evolutionary model. I just wouldn't hold the >codebase
up as a paragon of virtue in itself.

>(Mind you, I haven't looked at the other Jakarta projects - you may well be
right about it being the cleanest,
>and that just doesn't mean it's actually clean :)

As someone who has seen the NT codebase, I must observe that backwards
compatibility is ugly, especially when glued onto a fairly clean underlying
system, but it tends to help with success. And as NT shows, you can move a
lot of the compatibility ugliness from the core of the system to a higher
level layer, leaving the core much cleaner.

-steve