ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:15:48 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <costinm@covalent.net>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: Ant 2 et al.

> Well, I think ant1 is one of the cleanest and best documented codebases
> in jakarta and xml.apache. And it seems to have one of the best
> communities, and probably is the most used. Not to mention that the
> "Task" and the other core interfaces and the DTD are a de-facto standard.
>
> Try looking at tomcat, xerces, xalan, axis - all very good and successfull
> projects. You'll find far more mess and complexity, far less
> documentation.
>
> I think this is a result of the simple core design in ant1, plus 2-3
> years of refinement on the codebase.

Also I think the easy-to-get-into design makes it simple for people to move
from users to task developers before going near the core. Compare with
things like Axis where the complexity of core scares me, or Tomcat where
there is a hard split between servlet developers and container developers.

> My point is that ant1 architecute is one of the best, there is nothing
> fundamentally wrong. And from looking at both proposals, I believe
> they add complexity and I don't think the result is better.

I think a lot of the classloader stuff is a mess. And I do think we should
have a cleaner split between tasks and container.