ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:24:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 7:50 AM
Subject: RE: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?

>For me, moving to Java2 and getting rid of as many historical artifacts as
possible (even if it's only by providing >a tool to get rid of them) would
be a good thing.

>Erik and Steve's book has quite a few sections which are related to this
kind of thing...

I love product placements :)

One thing we have seen while writing the book is how many of the
foundational tasks are 'different' from the modern set because they were
written at an early stage of evolution
a) defaults of failonerror=false (exec, java, cvs)
b) inclusion of ant-libs in places they should be (javac,junit)
c) magic inside literals when they should really be in XML elements (
depends="foo,bar")
d) its confusing about if= unless= polling for existence rather than
true/false. Hey, even I get it wrong!
e) no explicit tests (i.e. there wasnt any test for property expansion till
a few months back)
1.1 compatibility does complicate development and testing

On the subject of (d), hmm, maybe if = & unless= could go smart and look for
string inside called ${property} and eval it to true/false if found....

Anyhow, I think it is time I sat down and looked at Mutant and Myrmidion.

-steve