ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:23:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: Splitting up optional.jar

> costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> ..
> >>3. we need a manifest to handle versions and dependencies; it could be
> >>the normal manifest, or it is our own XML descriptor.
> >

> > +1
> >
> > With a very strong -1 on using (only ) a XML descriptor for things that
> > are well-defined for the normal manifest - it is important that generic
> > tools are able to manipulate the jar.
>
> I am a committer in Cocoon, Forrest, and have been using XML for quite
> some time.
>
> This said, if I would have the right to vote, I'd vote -1 for the xml
> descriptor, which seems to fit in the typical everything-is-a-nail
> anti-pattern

you need to take a quick look at the ant-lib stuff in the proposals dir,
Jose-Albertos implementation for Ant1.4-1.5. It used an XML descriptor
because there is more than just tasks in the file, there are datatypes,
maybe extension elements for <condition>, <ejbjar>, <serverdeploy>, etc.
and
we need a way to autoregister them all.

which segues into the discussion of roles, of numerous past emails (i.e.
check the archive).

I dont think a properties file, easy to parse as it is, is th right place
for such complexity