ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:52:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 2:38 AM
Subject: Splitting up optional.jar

> I'd like to split optional.jar into several pieces:
>
> * optional-nodeps.jar - all stuff which doesn't require any external
> code or only depends on the JVM in use.  This one can savely live on
> the system classpath.
>
> I'm a little stretched when it comes to the Swing dependency.  Should
> this be placed into a separate jar as one could install javax.swing
> for JDK 1.1 (and probably even Kaffe?).
>
> * optional-trax.jar - all stuff that requires TraX interfaces.
>
> * optional-weblogic.jar - this would combine all three weblogic
> conditional patternsets.
>
> * optional-antlr.jar
> * optional-bsf.jar
> * optional-icontract.jar
> * optional-jakarta-bcel.jar
> * optional-jakarta-commons-logging.jar
> * optional-jakarta-log4j.jar
> * optional-jakarta-oro.jar
> * optional-jakarta-regexp.jar
> * optional-javamail
> * optional-jdepend.jar
> * optional-jmf.jar
> * optional-junit.jar
> * optional-netcomponents.jar
> * optional-netrexx.jar
> * optional-starteam.jar
> * optional-stylebook.jar
> * optional-vaj.jar
> * optional-xalan1.jar
> * optional-xalan2.jar
> * optional-xslp.jar
>
> should be self-explaining.
>
> Are there any better names?

1. I understand why you are breaking it up by dependency, but IMO it should
be broken up by functionality, and each jar can have its own dependencies
(or not)

examples

ant-networking: netcomponents, maybe later httpclient
ant-dotnet, ant-clearcase, ant-perforce, ant-vss: only external app
dependencies
ant-xml: the xml suite of stuff

etc.

This makes it more obvious what antlib you need to run a particular task.

2. we need ant version numbers in the jar titles, of course, to stop version
confusion. The risk is we introduce a new bugrep "I am running ant1.7 but
the task <DavPut> doesnt support the option authmode="liberty""; the cause
being they have the ant1.6 version of this (hypothetical) task on the cpath.

3. we need a manifest to handle versions and dependencies; it could be the
normal manifest, or it is our own XML descriptor.

3.