ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:32:08 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>

> IMHO it's better to use composition rather than inheritance, ie compose
> common build parts in your builds, like Java use Java packages.

I'm not entirely convinced of this yet, but I still need to ponder this
some.

Example:
I want to "inherit" a common web app project and add, say, XDoclet
generation of web.xml.

> It's more a uses-a relationship rather than a is-a one.
>
> With imports you can modularize your builds.

But I don't want to import all the pieces for every build.  I want to inject
something into the dependency graph of an already pre-defined build.  How
would that play out with imports?

    Erik