ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:52:29 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> What do I want to see in terms of task evolution:
>
> I'm think we ought to give priority at this early post-1.5 point to decide
> what the focus of development should be for the next round, simple
evolution
> of ant1.5 or whether this is a good time to sit down and move up to
starting
> on ant2.0 in earnest, maybe using mutant or myrmidion as foundations, or
(as
> Costin suggests), to evolve what we have today, but either way to rework
> enough of ant to make it better than it currently is. Better in terms of
> scalability, flexibility and usability, yet still being very backwards
> compatible with the existing build files.

I'm sorry but from what I can see there is no chance that mutant or myrmidon
can be used as the 'base code' without strong consequences on the ant
community. I think Stefan made it quite clear last time.

For the foundation: ideas: +1. code: -1

As Costin suggested, the core is small enough in Ant 1 to support severe
refactoring and introduction of new features. Though the problem will of
course be to introduce it gradually without breaking all apache projects a
single day, which is rather doubtful, so I guess that gump will need to be
set to 2 branches to make sure the state for the 2 build is identical in
some point. The fact that Sam upgraded his computer and that he is now able
to build nearly 3 times faster than before might allow us to steal him
another 1.5h of cpu cycles in the best case...