ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 06:54:33 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

>On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:27, Diane Holt wrote:
>
>> Have a <propertyset> datatype that <ant>/<antcall> could use? Is
it just
>> that you want the for/while stuff inside the task code,
>
>In the task (not necessarily code) ... ie you guessed it in a template ;)
>
>for-each and similar repetition tasks are usually about applying the same
>process to different sets of data. So why not explicitly describe the process
>via a task and explicitly define the data as attribute/elements of task?

My experience with foreach is more complex than that. The cases where I need it
are not for some little task that can be written in Java but for when I have to apply
a complex target (with many dependencies and tasks) to a set of inputs.

For example, in our environment we have a very complex build process including
the creation of multiple J2EE applications that depending on a particular deployment may
or maynot be deployed. We try the route of copy and paste and that became a maintenance
nightmare. Now we use for-each and at least we have only one version of the targets
to maintain.

Why should ANT not support such a thing in CORE? It is completely bugus.

Jose Alberto