ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:27:13 GMT
From: <costinm@covalent.net>

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>

> Of course, any proposal needs to start by saying that whatever was
> before is broken and can never be fixed. Most revolutions I know
> are far for perfect, and some were far worse than what it was
> before ( I'm thinking about general history here, not jakarta :-)
>
> I still have to see one real issue that can't be resolved by
> the current codebase but can be by a proposal.

The main issue to me, and I am not completely sure it is fixed in the proposals,
is the ClassLoaders mess that we have today. With the current policy that
every badly written task that works today must continue to work in the future
there is little posibility to fix this problem. A problem that otherwise is completely
fixable in Ant1, there has been several patches that did it.

The other issue is to be able to separate better the execution engine so that it can be reuse
in projects that want a way to do things like compile files or perform FTP, etc. without
requiring firing a complete ANT build-project.

Jose Alberto