ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files - counting results
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:31:25 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.heck@olin.edu>

> In fact a colleague of mine just ran into exactly this type of java file
> (written by someone else) in some code he is working with. Scary but
> there are people out there who do scary things!

There is nothing scary, you can have a complex initialization part of the
static block like you could compute a table, precompile regex or whatever.

The huge difference is this case is as mentionned by Nikola that the code is
structured and inside a static block it's not everywhere between the methods
with no block nor anything.

If there is a target less build file I would be in favor of forcing order
and put all elements before <target>, but then again this would break
backward compatibility. I can't even think of an initialization stuff that
will be triggered at the startup but spreaded all over the build file: top ,
in between, bottom. Food for nightmare build file but then again it might be
a still issue and the one writing this should be shot.

Stephane