ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: death of a mutant
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:35:30 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <costinm@covalent.net>

> Well, every java project I know and all java books I've read recently
> are using ant for building. ( not to talk about ant-specific books that
> begin to show ).
[...]

You don't have to convince me. :)

FWIW I was asked recently by a french publisher about the potential readers
of a book about Ant, I simply answered "all java developpers"..with a bemol
about the level of course. They had some feedback from people that Ant was
only used by experts and so the scope was too small for a book... but
clearly they need a somewhat 'eye catching' title to introduce Ant as the
'java companion' for those that don't know what it is.

I also asked why there were no book about Tomcat, I was answered that they
found no one.

I introduced them to Velocity as a JSP alternative for a book and they were
interested by the idea.

> > "on s'en fout" or "nous nous en foutons" first one being more
appropriate in
> > this case.
>
> It would be a good idea to have all flame-wars in French. That would
> keep them shorter :-)

or in romanian..even less people would understand.
What is it less direct than 'pupa-ma-n cur' ? (assuming the later is correct
:)

> I'm -0 on the change - if anyone feels strongly enough that ant1.6
> should raise the VM bar he'll have to put it to a vote and we'll
> go with the result. If it's negative, I'll try to port the compat
> package that would simplify a bit the support of 1.1 ( it's just
> an abstract class with 2 implementations, one for 1.1 and one for
> 1.2 - and all 1.2 methods not in 1.1 are called using it as a wrapper).

Out of curiosity where do you plan to put that package ? stay in tomcat land
? commons ?