ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: My itches for 1.6
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:18:28 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> At 08:54 AM 7/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Peter Donald wrote:
> >

> >You realize this is wrong and such code will fail in a container
> >environment. ( as general programming - for ant it may be ok ).
>
> It is not wrong. Thats the way ant was designed to work ;)

I do not know about "designing" more like "happens to be implemented"
I am sure that if we have "design it" we would not have created the mess
we are in right now.

> >Ok, would it be ok if the ant classes ( core, types, standard taskdefs )
> >are in the system loader, but the optional tasks are not ?
>
> Not for my tasks. They use junit and xslt liasons.

This kind of issues could be solved rather easily by providing 2 execution scripts
"ant.{sh,bat}" that uses the new classloader architecture and "oldant.{sh,bat}"
for legacy code that relies on the CLASSPATH "design".

There is no reason for the entire comunity to be stuck in the dark ages just because
of some "badly design" task that would take 5 minutes to upgrade.

  ClassLoader parent = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();
  new URLClassLoader(parent,  new URL[] { myFile.toURL() } );

you get the idea.

Jose Alberto