ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:08:55 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> I fear that Ant is now mature and widely used enough that we will have to
> sporadically release point versions of ant1.5.x while working on the next
> version. Which is actually good in a way, it stops people being forced to
> use beta versions just to fix a bug.

+1

> We need to move forward, one way or the other.

+1

> decide
> what the focus of development should be for the next round, simple
evolution
> of ant1.5

-1

> or whether this is a good time to sit down and move up to starting
> on ant2.0 in earnest, maybe using mutant or myrmidion as foundations,

+1 for myrmidon as the foundation - its developer
base gives me confidence that we will get where we
want to.

Bear in mind that the +1 is not based on the
technical differences between Mutant and Myrmidon -
I am sure both these proposals don't lack in design...

> or (as
> Costin suggests), to evolve what we have today, but either way to rework
> enough of ant to make it better than it currently is.

This can always happen in the branch.

> Better in terms of
> scalability, flexibility and usability, yet still being very backwards
> compatible with the existing build files.

+1

> -Steve

Cheers,
Magesh