ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:58:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 12:15 AM
Subject: RE: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...

>I wonder how hard it would be to write a byte-code assertion stripper,
which took classes generated
>with 1.4, retargetted the version number to 1.2 and stripped out
assertions...

But then you have to dist two binaries; unless you do the strip at
install/runtime.

you could have patches for all the java engines to skip the assert
statements, but it is too late.

IMO one of the classic design flaws of many instruction sets is to have no
skippable opcodes that can be used later. We have this problem with the PIII
prefetch instructions; opcodes to pull data into cache if the memory bus
isnt busy, but these opcodes raise exceptions on olders systems, so you cant
inline prefetches except on custom PIII+ code.

Nice idea though about an assert stripper at build time; I belive C had such
a thing a long time ago

#ifdef RELEASE
#define ASSERT(fact)
#else
#define ASSERT(fact) _assert(fact,_FILE_,_LINE _)
#endif

or something thereabouts :)