ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: Subelements and logging
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 21:04:50 GMT
Hmm... this just gets curiouser and curiouser...

Background - I'm cleaning up the XmlTask that the Ant web site links to on the External Tools
and Tasks page.  Previously, various classes in XmlTask output messages using System.out.println().
 I'd like to change this so that the messages are proper log messages.

After getting feedback, I went back into the code and found all the instances of System.out.println()
- turns out that it's not subelements that are outputting the messages, but utility classes
used by the Task itself, during the execute().

Unfortunately, passing in a reference of the Task to these utility classes would be a bit
messy, so I think I may try the ProjectComponent subclass or ant.util.TaskLogger route.

Kyle

>>> jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com 06/07/02 03:32PM >>>
It depends on when you want logging to occur.  During
configuration/population?  Or after your execute() method is invoked?

If during configuration and using addConfiguredXXX then extending from
ProjectComponent seems like a good solution.  If during execute then there
are other tricks you could employ, like having a method on your tsk that
logs and pass a reference of your task to the sub-elements to call - or
something like that.

    Erik