ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Starteam SDK out - how to handle ant task?
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:23:19 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Steve Cohen <SteveC@ignitesports.com> wrote:

> The question I have for the ant developers is how they have handled
> similar situations with other optional tasks

The biggest "optional" library I have direct experience with is JUnit.
For <junit> I've chosen to pick a good lower entry point, i.e. no
support for JUnit < 3.0 - but after that we are accomodating for
different JUnit versions even though the API has changed at some
places.

But then again the API changes haven't been to dramatic, providing
compatibility between different JUnit versions has been relatively
easy.

As a general rule I'd suggest to keep support for older versions
unless it is plain impossible.  If the later should become true (you
cannot support two versions within the same code), there are several
options like creating a separate set of tasks for the new library.
I'd rather not drop support for the older library completely,
especially if we have to expect the old version to stay in use.

Before you press the panic button, try to use your old code against
the new library 8-)

Stefan