ant-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: Object oriented builds
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:36:48 GMT
If I was looking for something easier to read, XML probably wouldn't be it
for me, as

for (int i=1; i <= 6; i++) someProcess(i);

makes that example a lot more readable. Neither antcall or template work
for me in that case.

On the complex expressions, we already have that in Maven today and have
had for quite a while, using Jelly as the property context for ant, so
having it as a planned addition doesn't help me much. And we can already
do exactly what you're describing by binding project.xml as a property,
and use jexl to access methods or properties as needed.

The two current drivers for Maven under development do exactly what you're
describing - load properties once and coordinate the calling. You're
right, it is much faster.

What you describe looks like it would work for us, but I feel by the time
you get to it, we'll have moved on. We addressed a lot of these issues in
prototypes over the last few weeks. We even have an option where there's a
replacement Ant syntax using Jelly and Werkz.

I'd love for there to be more synergy between the groups, but as one of
the few cross-over people, it's hard, as Ant has been stuck in v1 mode for
a long, long time, and Maven needs things easier, and I think in a
timeframe that Ant couldn't do, due to it's large user base.

There are lots of simple ant issues that should have been worked out long
ago (XML classes and JDK 1.4 clashing with ant for example), but linger
on. I'm not sure why this is the case.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Peter Donald <peter@apache.org>
06/23/02 05:20 PM
Please respond to "Ant Developers List"

"Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: Object oriented builds

At 04:36 PM 6/23/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Templates aren't the major hassle with build file reuse.

I dunno - which of the following do you think is easiedr to read

<do-some-process param="1"/>
<do-some-process param="2"/>
<do-some-process param="3"/>
<do-some-process param="4"/>
<do-some-process param="5"/>
<do-some-process param="6"/>

vs

<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="1"/>
</antcall>
<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="2"/>
</antcall>
<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="3"/>
</antcall>
<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="4"/>
</antcall>
<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="5"/>
</antcall>
<antcall target="some-process">
   <param name="param" value="6"/>
</antcall>

The second version is likely to be much much more slower and requires you
to at least be aware of different scoping rules in ant.

>  The main one is
>property sharing and passing.

Ant2 unifies the namespace of data values and properties. Hence complex
values can be stored as normal properties. A planned addition, that is not

yet done in myrmidon, is to allow a complex expression language to be used

in projects that demand it (ie Maven/centipede). So you could load an xml
snippet (like project.xml) bind it to a property (say myproject) and then
reference values inside that complex object. ie Using an xpath style
syntax
you could refer to property like "${myproject:/project/maven/version}" or
whatever.

So in theory that way a maven build would load project.xml once and never
use <ant/> <antcall/>. This should produce a much faster build and
hopefully be easier to maintain for you.

As soon as I bring the memory usage down to sane levels I actually plan to

get you maven guys to see if it works for all the things you need to do.
If
not we can try to figure something further out.

Does the above look like it would work for you or not?

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith