ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Wells, Phillip" <Phillip.We...@DRKW.com>
Subject [SUBMIT] JavaNcssTask
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:02:55 GMT
I posted this to the list a couple of weeks ago, but as yet have had no
response. I understand everyone is very busy with the 1.5 release at the
moment, but if someone could find the time to review this for the 1.6 branch
I'd appreciate it.

The task generates metrics for Java source code (package, class and function
counts, lines of code counts, method cyclomatic complexity, etc) and
produces a report in either plain text or XML format. It wraps the JavaNCSS
library developed by Clemens Lee
(http://www.kclee.com/clemens/java/javancss/).

Thanks,
Phil

 <<JavaNcssTask.zip>>
----

Hi.

I've just written a new Ant task that wraps the JavaNCSS library
(http://www.kclee.com/clemens/java/javancss/) for determining source code
metrics and would like to propose it be added to Ant's optional.jar. As it's
quite small I've added both task and documentation to this mail.

I have already spent some time looking at Steve Jernigan's existing Ant task
for JavaNCSS on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/javancss2ant/)
with a view to combining the functionality his task provides (metrics
threshold checking) with mine (report generation). Clemens Lee, the author
of JavaNCSS, has also been involved in this discussion. In the end we
decided this would not be possible as Steve's code requires the JavaNCSS
libraries be present at compile time which appears to be in conflict with
the principle that all Ant optional tasks should stand alone from external
libraries.

However, would it be possible to also add a link to Steve's task on Ant's
'External Tools and Tasks' page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html)? Details below (unless Steve
says otherwise!):

JavaNCSS code metric class to be called as part of the Ant build process.
The task allows the specification of threshold values and can flag instances
of metrics that exceed these thresholds.
Compatibility: Ant 1.4.1
Licence: GPL

Cheers,
Phil

 <<JavaNcssTask.java>>  <<javancss.html>>