ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: New Starteam SDK out - how to handle ant task?
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:17:14 GMT
Fortunately, as my later message pointed out, it seems as if the new jar
works as a drop-in replacement.

Unfortunately, now that my company has upgraded, I have no version 4.0
testbed available to me to test for backward compatibility any future
mods I might make.

Fortunately, I haven't had to make many mods at all.

I guess, that's life in the big city.

If anyone does use these tasks and is still using 4.0, I would like to
know about you.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 3:23 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: New Starteam SDK out - how to handle ant task?

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Steve Cohen <SteveC@ignitesports.com> wrote:

> The question I have for the ant developers is how they have handled
> similar situations with other optional tasks

The biggest "optional" library I have direct experience with is JUnit.
For <junit> I've chosen to pick a good lower entry point, i.e. no
support for JUnit < 3.0 - but after that we are accomodating for
different JUnit versions even though the API has changed at some
places.

But then again the API changes haven't been to dramatic, providing
compatibility between different JUnit versions has been relatively
easy.

As a general rule I'd suggest to keep support for older versions
unless it is plain impossible.  If the later should become true (you
cannot support two versions within the same code), there are several
options like creating a separate set of tasks for the new library.
I'd rather not drop support for the older library completely,
especially if we have to expect the old version to stay in use.

Before you press the panic button, try to use your old code against
the new library 8-)

Stefan