ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: New Starteam SDK out - how to handle ant task?
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:47:01 GMT
I got no answers to this query.  Still looking for any advice.

However, the good news seems to be that StarBase has done a good job of preserving backward
compatibility in its APIs and if an installation has installed the 5.1 version of star team,
all that is necessary to do is to drop in the new starteam-sdk.jar over the old one on ant's
classpath, and it seems to work without any difficulties.  It is not necessary to rebuild
ant.  If anyone finds differently, please let me know.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Cohen
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 1:59 PM
To: Ant Developers List (E-mail)
Cc: David Adams
Subject: New Starteam SDK out - how to handle ant task?

A new version of the StarTeam SDK has been released to StarBase customers.  I have just begun
to take a look at it.  The company I work for will soon be plunging into the unknown as we
will be installing the new version.

What will it do to the ant task?  Nothing?  Break it?  Require dropping in the new jar?  Or
not?   I have no idea whether the old starteam-sdk.jar will work with the new version, whether
we simply need to code against the new sdk jar, or what we may or may not have to do to achieve
compatibility.  That is just for our own company.  What about the user community at large?

The question I have for the ant developers is how they have handled similar situations with
other optional tasks - what version do they choose to code to, how, if they must, have they
handled version incompatibilities within ant?  Will I have to build version detection logic?

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports, Inc.
stevec@ignitesports.com