ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Maybe <present> should work with another file set.
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:57:51 GMT
At 03:16 PM 6/6/2002 -0700, Alexey Solofnenko wrote:

>   besides the fact that <present> by default works like <not-present>, it
>would be great to make it work with another fileset. In some situations
>(like syncing a directory with some files from some directories) it would
>help.

Colour me confused. I don't understand what you are seeing in default
behaviour, and I don't understand why you need another fileset.

Given this scenario:

/
   src/
     file1.txt
     file2.txt
     file3.whatever

   test/
     file1.txt
     file3.whatever
     file4.txt

then this snippet:

     <fileset dir="src" includes="**/*.txt">
       <present targetdir="/test"/>
     </fileset>

results in one file selected, file1.txt. The default behaviour is "present"
rather than the negation. If you are seeing something else, then that is a
bug and it would be helpful if you could provide details. Note that even
with the negation you would get only one file, but in this case it would be
file2.txt.

Any inclusion, exclusion, and selection criteria you need are provided by
the source fileset, since it controls what files the present selector is
applied to. What usecase would see you needing to put separate exclusions
on the targets? What would it gain you that you don't get by applying the
exclusions to the source fileset?

If you can provide usecases that aren't handled another way then we can
talk about it, but right now I don't see the need for the added complexity.

Of course, you could always write your own custom
"present-in-another-fileset" selector too. Perhaps one that took a fileset
reference.