ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Diagnostics.java
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:36:56 GMT
As good as it gets?

I like the whopper sized error message, I think it is better than
listing what classes are in/not in. Frankly, I think it is one of the
best error messages I have ever seen. It actually gives you a selection
of likely solutions then and there. You don't have to search the docs to
divine the solutions. That is very user friendly, and I found it quite
helpful when I ran into it. I doubt a list of what classes were and
wern't there would be nearly as helpful, because the user would just
think, "Ant has a bug, it's not loading all of it's classes correctly."

Listing what is in/not in could be helpful for developers, but not so
much for users who won't know why the class isn't in (until they read
the whopper sized error message).

-Gus