ant-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Docs out of sync
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:28:11 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> But how realistic or useful would a DTD be for build.xml?  There is so much
> dynamic capability, first with taskdef and typedefs defining new elements
> and now with my DynamicConfigurator enhancement.
>
> I'm guessing you mean simply for the current built-in/optional tasks.  Even
> for those it would be tough to define a rigorous DTD, I'd suspect, as the
> logic of whats acceptable and unacceptable is in the Java code logic at the
> moment.

It could be interesting to look whether namespaces could be
used to distinguish Ant core stuff, optional tasks and user
defined tasks, types and other dynamical features. XSD and I
think RNG are capable of declaring "anything from this
namespace valid here". This should allow a fairly rigorous
validation of the more static stuff while still allowing
for a lot of dynamic features with standard tools.

If the task base grows at the current pace, it would be
probably worthwhile to look into using namespaces for
avoiding name clashes between Ant supplied elements and
third party and user stuff.

J.Pietschmann