ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] symlink task
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:12:21 GMT
So has anyone looked at this yet? I know people were pretty busy with the release of beta2,
so now that that is done, what do you think?

 - Gus

"Patrick (Gus) Heck" wrote:

> I have written a symlink task which should be useful for managing websites on unix or
any other case where the symlinks in a directory may constitute valuable information. This
task allows one to quickly and easily record the symlinks in an entire directory structure
in a properties file.

> This makes it possible to have a directory that consists entirely of symlinks, and can
be recreated without shell script and without typing in the links by hand.

> The way I plan to use this is to record the links, and check the properties files into
CVS. This way when cvs checks them out it creates the directories too. Then ant can come along
and read the properties file making all the links I need.

> I hope others will find this taks useful as well.
>
> The symlink task highlights:
>  - make a symlink
>  - delete a symlink without deleting the target file/directory
>  - record all the symlinks in a directory tree in a properties file
>  - recreate the symlinks in a directory tree from the properties file
>  - failonerror or not
>  - overwrite existing symlinks or not.
>  - symlink deletion method is exposed as a static utility function for use by developers
>  - I have chosen not to expose the properites file creation method in this task but both
it and the symlink deletetion method might be transportable to FileUtils.java (the method
in the PropertyFile task that I mostly copied is private). I will let the commiters decide
on this one however.