ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Object oriented builds [was Mutant Documentation]
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:31:00 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 04:27, Ara Abrahamian wrote:
> What do you guys think of making Target behave like a Task? I mean
> introduce a reusable JavaCTarget class, initialize it and put it in
> build.xml. A javac-target.xml will back this "target component".

What you describe is already possible in myrmidon. Basically you define a
template (set of tasks to perform something and this template can be
parameterized) and then use that template like a normal task.

> Also another thing I love to see is Ant moving to a real javabean
> design. Let me define my project in say jbuilder via visual composition
>
> :-) Funny isn't it? But why not? Some projects are so complicated you
>
> really can't live without extensive control over each step involved, and
> what's better than java and javabeans for handling it?

We tried that in the past but it ended up complicating things a bit. Ants
patterns are a little simpler though I guess we could try to look at it
again.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald