ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Object oriented builds
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:12:59 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:26, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > Some negatives:
> >
> > - Templates currently can't be used to add targets to a project.  They
have to
> > be used as if they were tasks.  This means you couldn't have a template
that
> > expanded a high-level maven-esque project description into, say, a
'compile'
> > target and a 'jar' target, and a 'test' target.  This might not end up
being
> > a problem, as you can use a transforming project builder and cross-project
> > dependencies to achieve pretty much the same thing.
>
> That's a major one IMHO. With maven we needed reuse at the target level,
> not the task level.

I imagine any half useful template is going to need to do this, so it is
something we will have to solve.  The piece we're missing is the ability to
add targets to a project as it is executing - right now projects are
immutable.  Without that, you'd have to expand the templates at parse time,
rather than at execute time, which means you'd miss out on all kinds of
goodness.

> As for achieving the same end, the process you
> described sounds way too complex to be attempted by the average user.

Nah, not at all.  If you're using a prepackaged template, you'd just plonk
down the antlib containing it and you're good to go.  If you're doing your
own template, you'd use a canned transforming project builder (xslt, dsvl,
whatever) and drive it using a couple of lines in your project file.

That's the dream, anyway :)

--
Adam