ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Moebius <stmoeb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: debuglevel attribute unnecessarily break backwards-compatibility
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:03:19 GMT
> > The default value of the debuglevel attribute for the javac task is
> > ":none". The result of the following task are therfore classes
> without
> > any debug info:
> >
> >   <javac srcdir="${dir.source}"
> >          destdir="${dir.class}"
> >          debug="on">
> >   </javac>
> >
> > With ant1.4.x you get the desired debug info. Hence I suggest
> changing
> > the default for debuglevel to "", i.e. all debug info.
> >

> If what stefan says is right, then we have another bug. we should set
> the
> debuglevel attr to be compatible either with ant1.4 or ant1.3.

I ran some tests on the problem and couldn't reproduce it, looking at
the source code indicated that the example above *does* produce debug
info as expected. However, the documentation still claims something
wrong:

>From the javadoc on Javac.setDebugLevel():

     * This will be ignored by all implementations except modern
     * and classic(ver >= 1.2). Legal values are none or a
     * comma-separated list of the following keywords: lines, vars,
     * and source. If debuglevel is not specified, by default, :none
     * will be appended to -g. If debug is not turned on, this
attribute
     * will be ignored.

should instead read:

     * This will be ignored by all implementations except modern
     * and classic(ver >= 1.2). Legal values are none or a
     * comma-separated list of the following keywords: lines, vars,
     * and source. If debug is turned on and debuglevel is not
     * specified, by default, nothing ("") will be appended to -g
     * (causing all debug info to be created). If debug is not
     * turned on, this attribute will be ignored.

The same applies to the task documentation.

Thanks,
Stefan

=====
Stefan Moebius       <stmoebius@yahoo.com>