ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/antlib/src/java/org/apache/antlib/core ForEachTask.java
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:10:27 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:00, Peter Donald wrote:
> At 04:46 PM 6/7/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> > >
> > > I would prefer not to put another hack in unless it is furthering
> > > development which I don't believe the task would.
> >
> >I don't understand why the <for-each> task is a hack.  Seems like a
> >straightforward operation, really:  Do some stuff for each member of a
> > list.
>
> Essentially as its use in any real context basically requires recursive
> property resolution which has been vetoed many a time on ant-dev ;)

With mutable properties, and the improved property scoping we have now, you
should be able to do all kinds of good stuff without resorting to recursive
property resolution.

I do agree that <for-each> is a crappy solution to templating.  But templates
and iteration aren't the same thing, there's just a big overlap in the kinds
of problems they can solve.  I want to keep <for-each>, because I think it
will continue to prove useful even after we have templating in place.

--
Adam