ant-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Behring <carsten.behr...@gmx.de>
Subject Idea for a classpath validating task.
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:14:40 GMT
Hi all,

during my work with Ant I had the idea of a new small task, which
is able to validate a given path, or path reference.
It is very usefull, if you want to check if the classpath you defined in
the build script does not contain any typos.

If you call ant with "-v" there are messages if the classpath is
correct, but in the long list of outputs they get lost.
The use of the task could look like this:

 <validate refid="project.class.path" />
 <validate path="src;build;lib/ant.jar" />

And the task would fail if one pathelement does not exists and print
this out.

Does anybody except me believes that this could be a usefull task ?

I borrowed the idea from the JWhich tool
"http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip105.html".

Maybe it could be intresting to develop a more complex version which is
able to check if classes are defined several times in the classpath.
This could help a lot to avoid difficult to find problems with complex
classpathes.

Carsten