ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: Ant version check for optional.jar
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:39:34 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 9:17 AM
Subject: Ant version check for optional.jar

> Considering the large number of reports that relates to optional.jar and
> questions that comes over and over like:
> 'do you have optional.jar in ANT_HOME/lib'
> 'are you sure it is really optional.jar from Ant 1.x ?'
> I think we'd better add the version number in
> o/a/t/a/optional/version.txt, look for it at startup, and break if this is
> not the good version.
> optional.jar existence could be indicated when running ant -version.
> Thoughts ?

I always wondered whether we could do an audit not just of optional.jar but
dependent libraries; think of the many 'I have optional.jar but junit doesnt
work' reports we get.

We'd need a dependency manifest; something listing what classes a task needs
on the classpath, something like

 <task name="junit" implementation="org.apache...junit.JunitTask">
  <needs class="junit.TestCase" jar="junit.jar" url=""/>
  <wants class="org.w3c.dom.something"/>

something could run, pull in the manifest and warn about missing needs and
wants files., or missing implementations. I just added a jsp page to do this
kind of thing for Axis; scan the classpath for missing files and list where
they can be downloaded.

I'm not proposing a full fancy manifest that we all have to agree on; this
would just be for ant's internal diagnostics: we would not support this for
add on tasks.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message