ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <>
Subject Object oriented builds [was Mutant Documentation]
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:45:18 GMT
Conor - Thanks for documenting your design of Mutant.  I've had a quick read
through it several days ago and my mind has been churning on some things
triggered by what you've said there.

One of the challenges I face when developing Ant build systems is the fact
that it is tough to support large projects with 1.x.  Reusing build file
pieces is difficult with entity references, and its tricky to get <ant> just
right to control things and get properties passed down and inherited
properly.  And I'm sure there are many other issues that folks could think
of related to large project projects, such as lack of an <antOn>.

Anyway, you mention polymorphic types for passing to tasks, which Ant 1.5
has to some extent as well.

Does the object-oriented nature of this include being able to "extend" tasks
or projects?  I'm thinking at the API level now, not the XML representation.
What I'd like to do is create a StandardJavaProject project which does all
the basic stuff like init, clean, compile, jar, and javadoc.  In slightly
more advanced projects, I might want to use a XDocletProject, where all
stays the same except a new "gensrc" target is added and the compile target
is modified to depend on it and add the generated source directory to the
compile and javadoc stage.  Does that make sense?

My questions are for both Mutant and Myrmidon - do either or both of them
address this type of idea?  If so, could you elaborate on this briefly?

Am I even thinking coherently on this?  Or am I way off-base?

I'm eager to see where this leads!