ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Object oriented builds [was Mutant Documentation]
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:15:25 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>

> I agree. I think today in Ant1 there is a lot of copy and paste build
> file production. That, of course, violates the DRY principle expounded
> by the Pragmatic programmers.

One of my all-time favorite texts!  A mandatory read for all developers, I
say.

> > Does the object-oriented nature of this include being able to "extend"
tasks
> > or projects?  I'm thinking at the API level now, not the XML
representation.

> You say "extend tasks". I may misunderstand you there and perhaps you
> mean targets.

Oops, yes, I meant targets.

> As for a more object-oriented approach to project reuse - I'm not sure
> yet. I'd like to see how the project reference concept pans out.

I will stay eagerly in tune on this.  It seems to me in my current thinking
that it has to evolve to OO at the project and target levels (again,
API-wise, XML representation is the last thing I want to consider at the
moment).  I've got to think through this some more though, and of course
experiment with the proposals, before speaking more concretely.

    Erik