ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Ear.java Jar.java Zip.java
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:01:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <dion@multitask.com.au>

> Being a user of the Ant API from a task writer and a writer of code that
> calls Ant, the documentation of the API is one area that pains me.

Understandable.  Also keep in mind that you are in the minority in that the
Ant API matters to you.  Most folks prefer the Ant task documentation to be
accurate.

But, the good news is with my XDoclet efforts both will improve.  It'll be
tougher to get the "loose" feel that our HTML docs have currently, and
interdependencies between attributes and such will be a challenge.  But,
just like unit testing, perhaps just the fact that generated docs have a
framework they must fit into will improve our code by keeping us from doing
crazy things with super-overloaded tasks and such.  Just maybe.....

> Believe me, the last thing you'd want is me sending you old patches that
> don't apply :)

Wouldn't bother me.... I'd kick them back to you if they didn't work!  :)

Besides, isn't "Ant your bitch slave"?!  :))  (I saw that in some quotes.txt
file you guys were committing to Maven - is that your quote?).

    Erik