ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: create or add subtask??
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:44:18 GMT
Use addConfiguredXXX if you desire it to be configured before being handed
to your task.

   Erik

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kyle Adams" <kadams@gfs.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: create or add subtask??

I've got further questions on this.  I'm currently modifying the XmlTask
(http://www.oopsconsultancy.com/software/xmltask.html) I found on the
External Tools and Tasks page.

I'd like to make a decision in the addXXXX task based on the attributes of
XXXX.  I'd hoped that when Ant instantiated the object, it would call the
object's setter methods to get those attributes, but it appears that those
attributes aren't set until Ant configures the object.  Am I correct?  When
will Ant configure the object?  When the parent element's execute method is
called?

Kyle

>>> conor@cortexebusiness.com.au 06/03/02 08:20AM >>>
Laval Chung wrote:
> For subtask we either create or add?
> What's the difference and when to use which?
>
> Cheers
> laval

When you use addXXX, Ant will instantiate the object, pass it to the add
method and then configure it. For Ant to be able to instantiate the class it
must support a Zero Argument Constructor (ZAC).

When you use createXXX, Ant will call createXXX and your task must create
the sub-object and return it to Ant which will then configure it. As such
your task can create the sub-object with whatever means available.

BTW, the above is the simple explanation :-).

In general, the preference nowadays is to use addXXX methods. These are more
extensible since Ant can provide a subclass of the class required by the
addXXX methods. That isn't much of an issue today but in the future such
behaviour is envisaged.

Also, it is not strictly a sub-task - more a sub-element.

Conor