ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Hostname property: HostnameTask.java or Project.java patch
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:18:06 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: Hostname property: HostnameTask.java or Project.java patch

> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I prefer the first approach, but I don't make decisions
> > :-)
>
> My +1 for the separate task (that really looks very similar to
> Steve's).

+1 me too for the task; take mine and his and converge them, write a test,
etc. The test could compare env.COMPUTERNAME and env.HOSTNAME to localhost,
but not if env.HOSTNAME==localhost, as MacOS X seemingly sets it.

We need to run these tests on some boxes off the network, probably even a
win95 box, just to make sure that none of the net calls cause long delays or
other wierd things. Which is why I want it as a separate task; if the probe
does disrupt off-lan systems, we dont want to run it every build. (or indeed
slow down all the builds that dont need to know the hostname)