ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Object oriented builds
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:50:51 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch@apache.org>

>Those vetos are sooo old.  I wonder if it'd still be vetoed, particularly
>since we've had things like maven come along to demonstrate how much more
>powerful it can be to define projects in high-level terms.

I failed to explain clearly my position about project and target
inheritance, but when I asked for it back in march 2001 it was because I
spent a good deal of time gumpifying all my company projects and setup
something like maven, so project inheritance could have been a good addition
to me and it was kind of evident. Now that a lot more people use Gump or
Maven, I guess it shows up more.

>Something we've done in myrmidon, is to make the project model as pluggable
as
>possible.  So, even if, say, project/target inheritance is vetoed, it is
easy
>enough for someone to write their own project model that added it in.  They
>could then chuck it in an antlib and share it with others.

>A decent templating solution might be a good middle ground between the ant1
>model, and built-in project/target inheritance.  It could provide the tools
>you'd need to put together inheritance, without affecting the core project
>model.

Good stuff. It's even better.

Stephane