ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Docs out of sync
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:39:19 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <stevel@apache.org>
>   I've realised that we now have a synchronisation problem; as soon as 1.5
goes out the door, we should really migrate to xdoc based docs ASAP.

Yes, the more I've compared side-by-side the setters to our actual docs the
more I cringe.  We've got lots of issues in this realm where some attributes
exist in code but are not documented (this is on purpose in some cases).  We
have cases where we are subclassing a task and then turn around and
unsupport lots of its setters by throwing a BuildException in the setter -
when what really should be done is refactor the common stuff out and allow
subclasses to really be subclasses and not some weird partial support of the
parent functionality.

After 1.5 we can really start comparing what xdocs generates and try out the
migration to it.

The main dilemma is how to auto-generate or merge in the rich type of
information we have in our HTML files where some attributes are allowed if
others are specified and the complex interactions between attributes that
exists in the code and is easily described in free-form text but not so easy
to auto-generate.

    Erik